Outlandish scenery, alluring cuisine, marvelous new friends, spicy new lovers all create an irresistible diary begging to be read.
No lie - It is marvelous being an expat. A constant adventure. A source of satisfaction. A never-ending 'hello' to the world to help it remember you exist.
Better than crack but just as expensive.
Much like crack, living abroad takes its toll. Some of which will shatter your soul, some will forge your fortune, some may give you crabs - itchy fun for everyone!
Let's talk about if it's for you, yes?
- Do you love getting lost in new cities?
- Do you like the idea of saying 'I live in Argentina/Croatia/New Zealand?'
- Do your family/close loved ones/friends know how to use a calling card/skype?
- Do you get excited when you think about all the new friends and people you'll make (which you will)?
- Are you an independent spirit?
- Does getting asked the standard three questions (where you from, why you here and what you're doing) every day seem like a small price to pay?
- Can you handle not being there for your family/friends' everyday life?
- Are you alright with the strong possibility that you may not be there if your parents/siblings/extended family fall sick swiftly?
- Can you cope with the idea that once you leave your hometown, given time, you will miss it?
- Do you love the attention of being exotic and people wishing they were you?
- Does strange-looking food with odd texture invigorate you and get your taste buds salivating?
- Have you been dreaming about living abroad most of your life?
- Can you speak their language?
- Can you picture yourself raising a family in that foreign place?
- Do you love shows like Dr. Who, Firefly and Avatar?
- Are you ready to live a plethora of mind-blowing, inconceivable (at this point) adventures that others will only dream about?
- Do you hold experiences and adventure higher than material goods and owning assets?
- Can you thrive hanging out by yourself for long periods of time?
- Do you just want to do it already and see how it goes?
If you answered most of these 'yes' then congrats, you're well-suited to being an expat. If 50-50, try it and see if you like it. If mostly 'no' not a worry, you may be better suited to living months at a time abroad and that makes you an honorary expat.
I've lived in New Zealand for the past six years and in the process - have discovered my dream job, shacked up with a mad scientist + fat cat, intersected with a plethora of cool kids and explored an ethereal landscape. It has had consequences and when my mom fell ill the distance became more apparent.
BUT life is for SEIZING!
At the end of the day, you can always return to your home turf. It's only one plane ticket away.
GRAB this chance and go check out what life is like when you CONQUER your WORLD!
Subscribe to the newsletter!
We're turning the Conquer Your World series into an ebook.