Facebook makes me feel like an awesome friend I 'like' like a smothering mother, 'share' like a proud father and giggle at their jokes. In real-life tho, I have trouble remembering important dates, don't call/text them often (I hate phones) and definitely don't write (altho I do have one unsent written card on my table that quietly begs to differ but doesn't count). Which is why in my custom-made life I'm taking action and making sure my BFF's don't wither away with neglect OR just find a new friend.
The beauty of this is that by reaching out you're showing that you care and that's half the love-fest done.
- Scribbling on Facebook walls 'You + Me + Skype = Your Friday at 3pm' (deal = sealed)
- Composing a poem about their strengths and love-abilties (the cornier the better)
- Making note of inside jokes (I forget them = friendship boner kill) for future reference
- Random texts of joy - 'Your way with words makes me giddy', 'I admire your ability to remember EVERY. SINGLE. LYRIC. of Genesis', and 'Your cooking slays me with olfactory euphoria'
- Tiny presents (harder to do on a wealth fest but get creative). Pick flowers, bake them a coffee cake, write a card, make them a smoothie, proffer them a bowl full of luscious cherries
- Send them a cartoon that is relevant - Dilbert being one of my faves for seeing the brutal humor in life
- Actually letting them talk for 10 minutes with full, undivided (no thinking about dinner or blog posts) attention
- Giving them verbal credit for their awesome life accomplishments
What ways do you foster your friendships? Comment below!